Have a Football Feast: Great Game Day Recipes
By Fabiana Santana
It’s time to get your kitchen in gear for your game day party! The simplest way to ensure everyone, including you, have fun at your super Sunday celebration is to serve a spread buffet style. Do it in rounds so that cold food isn’t sitting out all day.
- Round one can be the snacky type foods like mini stuffed potatoes and overloaded nachos.
- Round two should be heartier and filling foods that act as a main course.
- Round three is everyone’s favorite – dessert. This can be where you ask people to chip in when they ask what they should bring.
Your bar can be set up as a self serve station, too. Have a signature Sunday game day cocktail pre-mixed so all guests have to do is pour. Buckets of beer on ice can easily be replenished and you can put out little bowls of peanuts and pretzels near the bar since it is the go to gathering spot for extended gossip and maybe a few side bets.
Mini Stuffed Potato Skins Recipe
Recipe courtesy of Kraft
• 6 baking potatoes (2 lb.), baked
• 2 Tbsp. oil
• 1 jar (15 oz.) CHEEZ WHIZ Cheese Dip
• 1/4 cup OSCAR MAYER Real Bacon Bits
• 1/2 cup BREAKSTONE’S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream
• 2 green onions, sliced
Heat oven to 375°F. Cut potatoes lengthwise in half; scoop out centers, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shells. (Reserve centers for another use.) Cut shells crosswise in half. Place shells, skin-sides down, on baking sheet; brush insides of shells lightly with oil. Bake 15 min. or until golden brown. Microwave CHEEZ WHIZ in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 3 min., stirring after 1-1/2 min. Pour into potato shells; top with remaining ingredients.
• 4 cups kettle potato chips (4 oz.)
• 1 cup KRAFT Shredded Cheddar Cheese
• 1 small tomato, chopped
• 2 green onions, sliced
• 4 slices OSCAR MAYER Center Cut Bacon, cooked, crumbled
• 1/4 cup BREAKSTONE’S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream
Spread chips onto large microwaveable plate; top with cheese. Microwave on High 1 to 2 min. or until cheese is melted. Top with remaining ingredients. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of McCormick
• 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and chopped (2 cups)
• 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (2 cups)
• 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
• 2 tablespoons lime juice
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 tablespoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Jalapeno Peppers, Diced
• ½ teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Garlic Powder
• ¼ teaspoon salt
Mix all ingredients in medium bowl until well blended. Serve with tortilla chips.
Rachael Ray’s 30 Minute Chili Recipe
Courtesy of Food Network
• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 2 pounds ground sirloin
• 2 tablespoons grill seasoning (recommended: McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning) a palm full
• 1/2 pound baby Portobello mushrooms, chopped
• 1/4 pound shiitake mushroom caps, sliced
• 1 medium yellow skinned onion, chopped
• 3 ribs celery, chopped
• 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
• 4 to 6 cloves garlic, chopped
• 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped, with their juices or 1 generous palm full ground chipotle chili powder, about 2 tablespoons
• 1 tablespoon ground cumin, half a palm full
• 1 bottle imported beer (recommended: Stella Artois (…imported just ’cause we’re Uptown and that’s all they drink here.)
• 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
• 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
• 1 cup beef stock (8-ounce box)
• 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
• 8-ounce piece smoked Gouda, shredded
• 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- Heat a deep, large skillet or a pot over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil and the meat. Season it with grill seasoning and sear it up, browning and crumbling it, for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer meat to a plate and return pot to stove. Reduce heat to medium- high and add another tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil. Add the mushrooms and begin to brown them before adding the other veggies. After 2 or 3 minutes the mushrooms will begin to shirk and soften. Push the mushrooms off to one side of the pot and add all the remaining veggies to the opposite side of the pot surface. Once the onions, celery, peppers and garlic have been working for a few minutes as well, mix the veggies with the mushrooms.
- Add the meat back, season with Worcestershire sauce, chipotle in adobo or chipotle powder and cumin.
- Add in beer to deglaze the pot, scraping up all the pan drippings. Reduce the beer by half, about 2 minutes.
- Add the black beans, tomatoes, stock and thyme to chili and simmer 10 minutes for flavors to combine.
- Taste to adjust seasonings.
- Top bowls of the chili with shredded smoked Gouda and finely chopped raw onions.
Asian Steak Tacos Recipe
Recipe by Fabiana Santana
• 3 lbs of skirt steak
• olive oil for grilling
• 6 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced
• salt and pepper
• ¼ cup Tamari (dark soy sauce) or low-sodium soy sauce
• ¼ cup teriyaki sauce
• juice of one lime
• 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
• 1 teaspoon ground ginger
For the taco fillings:
• 3 Tomatoes, seeded and chopped
• 2 onions, peeled and chopped
• 1 jar of spicy salsa
• 1 12 ounce container of sour cream
• 1 lb of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
• 1 head of iceburg lettuce, shredded. A bag of pre-shredded lettuce works as well.
• 1 lb of mushrooms sautéed in sesame oil or olive oil
• 2 packs of whole wheat tortillas
- Rub steak with salt and pepper. Marinate steak in a mixture of tamari, teriyaki, lime juice, garlic and ground ginger for at least 45 minutes. Heat skillet. Add enough olive oil to coat the pan.
- Saute scallions until soft and slightly translucent. Add the steak to the pan and grill for 3 minutes on each side. Set cooked steak aside and add the marinate to the skillet. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Let the marinade reduce until it becomes a thick shiny glaze, about 15 minutes.
- Return steak to the pan and let it reheat in the glaze until well coated. Remove steak and glaze from heat and cover with foil. Prepare you taco fixings in indiviual bowls. About 15 minutes before serviing, reheat the steak in a 200 degree oven. Once reheated, slice into long strips and arrange on a platter alongside all the fillings.
Game Day Cocktails
• 8 oz lemon lime soda
• 1 oz Midori
• ½ oz spiced rum
• Green cherry
- Fill a Collins Glass half way with ice.
- Add the Midori and spiced rum.
- Fill the glass with lemon lime soda.
- Garnish with a green cherry.
Steelers Black and Gold Martini
• 2 oz Blavod vodka
• 1 oz Goldschlager
- Pour the Blavod into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Top with Goldschlager.
More SingleMindedWomen.com Game Day Recipes