Crazy Comfort Chicken Pot Pie
By Mindy Kobrin
LOVE your life!
CELEBRATE your culinary creativity!
PLAY with a renewed vitality!
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Prepared in 1½ hours including baking time.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves*
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs*
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 3 carrots, coarsely chopped
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 cup organic green peas (in season) or frozen petite green peas
- 1 cup fresh or frozen pearl onions
- 4 Tbs plus 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 2½ cups brown Cremini mushrooms, trimmed and cut into quarters, (Cremini are a fuller flavored young dark brown version of the larger Portobello mushroom)
- 4 Tbs all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Tabasco or hot sauce
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry
- 1 large egg, beaten
*Lobster or turkey can be substituted for chicken
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place chicken, chopped onion, celery, and chopped carrots in a large stockpot; season with salt and pepper and enough water to cover. Wrap thyme and garlic in a piece of cheesecloth and tie with kitchen twine to enclose; add to pot. Cover pot and place over medium heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until chicken is no longer pink, about 25 minutes. Strain, discarding vegetables, and reserve chicken and liquids separately; let cool and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil and prepare an ice-water bath. Add baby carrots to boiling water and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and immediately transfer to ice-water bath until cool.
- Drain; set aside. Place peas in boiling water and cook about 30 seconds; drain and set aside. Add pearl onions to boiling water and cook about 1 minute, transfer to ice-water bath until cool. Drain; set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook until browned, 3-4 minutes; let cool. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and place in a large nonreactive bowl along with baby carrots, peas, pearl onions, and mushrooms; set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat remaining 4 tablespoons of butter. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add ½ cup of the reserved cooking liquid and heavy cream. Cook, stirring constantly, until liquid comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce; season with salt and pepper. Add to bowl with chicken and vegetables; toss to combine.
- Divide mixture evenly between four 13 oz shallow baking dishes. Cut puff pastry into four 8-inch circles and place on top of each of the bowls, crimping edges as desired. Cut a slit in the center of each piece of puff pastry to allow steam to escape; brush beaten egg over puff pastry.
- Transfer bowls to a baking sheet. Bake until puff pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbling, about 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serves 4.
Don’t Worry, Eat Happy!
More Recipes from Mindy on SingleMindedWomen.com