Mother’s Day Brunch Recipes
By Fabiana Santana
Sometimes the best give you can give the mom in your life is a little bit of pampering. Skip the expensive jewelry and, instead, make her queen for a day with these delicious recipes she can enjoy in the comfort of her cuddly PJs.
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon cake flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 heaping tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk (more if needed)
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced (more juice if lemon isn’t very juicy)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, plus more softened for serving
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup blueberries
- Maple or pancake syrup, warmed, for serving
- Heat a heavy skillet or grill over medium-low heat.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the evaporated milk, lemon zest and juice. Allow to sit for 5 minutes, then add the egg and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir gently to combine. Stir in the melted butter. Splash in more evaporated milk if the mixture is overly thick. Stir in the blueberries.
- Melt a little of the softened butter in the heated skillet. Drop the batter by 1/4 or 1/3 cup measures and fry the pancakes on both sides for a couple of minutes until golden.
- Serve with more softened butter and warm syrup.
Per Serving: Calories: 450; Total Fat: 13.5 grams; Saturated Fat: 9 grams; Protein: 12 grams; Total carbohydrates: 68 grams; Sugar: 23 grams; Fiber: 2 grams; Cholesterol: 98 milligrams; Sodium: 621 milligrams
Momma’s Day Off
Replace sparkling wine with Skinnygirl for a low cal cocktail with a bright tang of tangerine. If you’ve got tangerine juice, mom wouldn’t mind a splash of that at all.
· 1 ½ parts Skinnygirl® Tangerine Vodka
· 6 parts orange juice
· Orange slice for garnish
Preparation: Add Skinnygirl® Tangerine Vodka over ice and top with orange juice. Garnish with an orange slice.
Brunch is the meal mom wishes she could have every day. Lazy mornings enhanced by an endulgence of delicious flavors. It has never tasted so good as when Paula Deen’s classic French breakfast sandwich gets a sassy remix. Play on the full flavors with a luscious Bloody Mary, the classic brunch cocktail.
Servings: 4 sandwiches
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min
- 2-3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 12 ounces smoked ham, very thinly sliced
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, sliced thin
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Set half of the slices of bread buttered side down in the griddle or cast iron skillet, and cover each with a slice of cheese. Place 3 or 4 slices of the ham over the cheese, and place the top slice of bread over the ham, buttered side up.
- Heat griddle or skillet over medium heat. Cook sandwiches until bottom is golden brown and cheese is melted, about 3 minutes per side. Remove sandwiches and place on a plate.
- Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on the top of each sandwich, and then place a slice of cheese on top. Put the sandwiches back onto the griddle or skillet then place in oven, cooking until golden brown and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in skillet over high heat. Cook each egg sunny side up. Turn egg over and cook 3 minutes longer for a soft-cooked egg, or 5 minutes longer for a hard-cooked egg. Repeat with remaining butter and eggs.
- Place one fried egg atop each sandwich. Season egg to taste with salt and pepper. Serve sandwich immediately.
She’s the Boss Bloody Mary
Add an extra layer of flavor by using cucumber-flavored vodka in this updated version of a brunch classic. The fresh flavor spiced up with hot sauce, which you can adjust to reflect mom’s heat threshold.
· 2 parts Skinnygirl® Cucumber Vodka
· 2 parts low-sodium tomato juice
· Splash of fresh lemon juice
· Squeeze of fresh lime juice
· Dash of Worcestershire sauce (to taste)
· Dash of hot sauce
· Sprinkle of celery salt
· Lime for garnish
· Cucumber for garnish
· Celery stalk for garnish
Mix ingredients and pour over ice. Garnish with lime and cucumber.
If mom is more of a margarita girl, then a cucumber margarita will add the same fresh flavor and zesty zing.
· 1 ½ parts Sauza® Blue Silver 100% Agave Tequila
· ½ parts JDK & Sons™ O3 Premium Orange Liqueur
· ¼ of 1 medium cucumber, peeled and sliced
· 1 ½ parts fresh lime juice
· ½ parts simple syrup
· Lime wedge for garnish
Preparation: In a glass, muddle together sliced cucumber and Sauza® Blue Tequila. Let sit in the refrigerator for one hour. Strain the cucumber Tequila and combine with all ingredients in a glass. Stir and serve over ice. Garnish with reserved cucumber slices and a wedge of lime.
Yes, chocolate is necessary on Mother’s Day. But skip the fancy box and instead, serve up this Chocolate Elegance Cake. This looks like a million bucks and tastes just as rich. The only thing this decadent, smooth chocolate-and-cream-cheese cake skimps on is the time it takes to make it.
- 1-1/2 pkg. (8 oz. each) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese (12 oz.), softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, divided
- 1-1/2 pkg. (4 oz. each) BAKER’S Semi-Sweet Chocolate (6 oz.), divided
- 1 pkg. (3.9 oz.) JELL-O Chocolate Instant Pudding
- 1/2 cup cold milk
- 1/4 cup PLANTERS Sliced Almonds, toasted
- BEAT cream cheese and sugar with mixer until well blended. Stir in 1-1/2 cups COOL WHIP; spread 2 cups onto bottom of 8×4-inch loaf pan lined with plastic wrap.
- MELT 3 oz. chocolate. Add to remaining cream cheese mixture along with dry pudding mix and milk; beat until well blended. Spread over cream cheese layer in pan. Refrigerate 4 hours.
- MICROWAVE remaining chocolate and COOL WHIP in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1 min.; stir until blended. Cool slightly.
- INVERT dessert onto platter. Remove pan and plastic wrap. Top dessert with chocolate glaze and nuts. Refrigerate until glaze is firm.
Nothing beats this chocolate and peanut butter margarita. Seriously, nothing. You should actually probably start the meal with this cocktail because it results in an instant smile that lasts all day.
Chocolate and Peanut Butter Margarita
· 1 ½ parts Sauza® Blue Reposado 100% Agave Tequila
· ½ part DeKuyper® Buttershots
· 8 parts chocolate ice cream
· 2 parts milk
· ¼ part creamy peanut butter
· Chocolate sauce (to rim glass)
· Peanut butter (to rim glass)
Preparation: Rim cocktail glass with half creamy peanut butter and half chocolate sauce by running the edge of the glass through plates with each. In a blender combine chocolate ice cream, milk, peanut butter, tequila and butterscotch liquor. Blend until smooth. Pour drink into prepared glass and enjoy!