In the Kitchen with Tanya Zuckerbrot’s F-Factor Diet
By Fabiana Santana
Tanya Zuckerbrot’s Healthy Comfort Food Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
Everyone’s mom seems to have a recipe for meatloaf which is why eating meatloaf always reminds us of our childhoods. Here is a low fat version which I’m sure you will enjoy! I think moms everywhere would approve!
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- ¾ cup quick oats
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup tomato juice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbl. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbl. brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl; shape into a loaf. Place into a 9 x 5 x 3 inch pan.
- Mix sauce ingredients together and set aside.
- Bake the meatloaf for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and pour sauce evenly over the top. Return the meatloaf back to the oven and continue to cook for another 30 minutes.
(Nutritional Content, per Serving: 319 Calories, 11g Carbohydrate, 1g Fiber, 23g Protein, 20g Total Fat, 8g Sat. Fat, 581mg Sodium)
Healthy Comfort Mashed Potatoes Recipe
The potato skin is a concentrated source of dietary fiber, so to get the most nutritional value from this vegetable, don’t peel it and consume both the flesh and the skin.
- 3 lbs unpeeled red or Yukon gold potatoes (about 8 medium) and cut into chunks
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled
- ¾ cup low-fat buttermilk
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbl. chopped fresh chives
- In 3 quart saucepan, place potatoes and garlic; add enough water to cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain.
- Place potatoes and garlic in medium bowl. Mash potatoes and garlic with potato masher or beat with electric mixer at medium speed until smooth.
- Gradually add buttermilk, salt and pepper. Stir with fork until blended. Sprinkle with chives (if desired).
(Nutritional Content: Per serving: 101 calories, 1g fat, 22g carbohydrate, 3g protein, 2g fiber, 135mg sodium)
More SingleMindedWomen.com Food Articles
In the Kitchen with Claire Robinson of the Food Network
In the Kitchen with TO CHEF Final Four’s Lee Ann Wong
Italian Culinary Tour, with Celebrity Chef Maria Liberati
Pages: 1 2