Two Great Quick Cook Meals for One: Chile Reino and Scallop Chiviche
By Fabiana Santana
Whether your plans fell through, you had to work late or you’ve been dreaming about a night home alone with your TIVO, there is no reason a dinner at home for one has to consist of eating leftover cold Chinese food or a corn out of the can in front of an open fridge.
You deserve a proper meal and, guess what, we have two great quick meals for one!
The beauty of cooking for yourself is that you have no rules to follow and you have only yourself to impress. There is room to take your favorite recipe and experiment – add more or less of what you see fit for your taste and be creative in fixing mistakes. Sometimes, though, we just don’t have it in us. Our creative juices have dried up and all we want is to be home and be fed without having to think too hard. When in need of speedy, home cooked nourishment, these recipes are sure to do the trick.
Quick Cook Chile Reino
- 1-tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon each chopped garlic and dried onion
- ¼ cup Ground Turkey
- 1-teaspoon Cumin
- 3-4 heaping tablespoons of chunky salsa
- 1 cup cooked rice. This is where that leftover Chinese food comes in handy.
- ¼ cup of frozen veggie mix (corn, beans, whatever you like)
- ¼ cup Shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1 bell pepper or green, your choice
- Salt and Pepper, to season
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
3. Add the garlic and dried onion and cook until the garlic starts to brown slightly.
4. Add the turkey and stir until cooked – about 5-7 minutes.
5. Add the cumin and salsa and stir well.
6. Remove from heat.
7. Add the rice and veggies and stir until incorporated.
8. Taste and season with salt and pepper as you like.
9. Slice the pepper in half lengthwise.
10. Stuff it with the turkey and rice mixture and top with cheese.
11. Place in a baking dish and cook in 450-degree oven for 10 minutes.
12. Vegetarians can omit the ground beef and add any kind of hearty bean to the rice for protein.
If turning on an oven is real turn off when time is of the essence, then this quick and simple ceviche that will turn your kitchen in to a tapas bar in no time.
- 6 fresh bay scallops
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of orange juice
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, chopped – you can omit if you don’t like spicy foods
- a few springs of cilantro, chopped
- 1 small mango, sliced
1. Place the scallops in a bowl and cover with the lime & orange juices, scallions and jalapeno.
2. Make sure all the scallops are covered well and let sit for 8-10 minutes.
3. Then, stir in the chopped cilantro and mango.
4. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
5. Serve with tortilla chips or as is.
More SingleMindedWomen.com Recipes