Walnut Ginger Granola Parfait Recipe With Edible Flowers
By Mindy Kobrin
Mother’s Day is right around the corner. Why not surprise her with a delicious, healthy dessert garnished with edible flowers. You can also place a few edible flowers on her bedside pillow to show her how much she is loved and appreciated!
Some of the more popular edible flowers are: the peppery-flavored nasturtiums; chive blossoms, which taste like a mild, sweet onion; pansies and violas, both with a flavor reminiscent of grapes; and perfumy, sweet roses. Edible flowers turn the ordinary into the extraordinary…artful, playful, fun! Here are some of my favorite edible flowers, Don’t Worry, Eat Happy!
- Chive blossoms
Edible Flowers are a colorful way to add fun to food. Although not all flowers are edible, those that are must usually be purchased from specialty produce markets or supermarkets that carry gourmet produce. They can be stored, tightly wrapped, in the refrigerator up to a week. Flowers that have been sprayed with pesticides (such as those found at florists) should never be eaten.
Prepared in 30 minutes or less.
- 4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1½ cups raw walnuts, chopped (can substitute with fresh pecans or almonds)
- 1 tsp ground ginger powder
- ¼ tsp Sea salt
- ¼ cup Sunflower, Safflower or Canola oil
- ½ cup agave nectar or maple syrup
- 2 egg whites, whipped until light and frothy
- 1 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- Edible flowers for garnish, (I like pansies, geraniums or marigolds)
- Plain Greek yogurt for parfait
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine oats, chopped nuts, ground ginger and Sea salt in a large bowl. Toss well with hands or silicone spatula until ingredients are mixed. Pour oil into the bowl. Pour agave nectar into the bowl. Mix well with spatula until ingredients are incorporated.
- Add whipped egg whites to bowl and toss mixture to coat.
- Spread granola onto a baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes. Make sure to toss granola every 8-10 minutes during the baking process to evenly cook.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle crystallized ginger over the hot granola. Stir quickly then allow granola to cool completely for several hours.
- Spoon plain yogurt into a glass parfait cup. Top with granola and garnish with an edible flower.
Seal extra granola into Mason jars. Good for 10 days.
Don’t Worry, Eat Happy!
More Recipes from Mindy on SingleMindedWomen.com