Duchess Digest: I Am NOT Carrie Bradshaw
By -Jill Brown
I am not Carrie Bradshaw.
I know that may be upsetting to hear if you’re reading this and you think that life in Los Angeles as a writer and single and fabulous (sometimes question mark, sometimes exclamation point) young woman on the cusp of thirty is bliss; sorry. When I tell people at parties I’m a writer and a columnist their first response is, “Oh my God, you’re SO Carrie Bradshaw.” When I tell my sister about the escapades, joy and frustration that loving a certain man in my life has been her response is often, affectionately, encouragingly (for I love my sister and her big, sweet heart dearly), “he’s just your Big.” There have been times when even I have fallen for the flattery of these kind and loving commentators that, hey, maybe I AM Carrie Bradshaw. Much the same way Kramer declares when he saves the bus route in Seinfeld, “I AM Batman!”
But I am not Batman.
And with this week’s release of Candace Bushnell’s The Carrie Diaries and the late May release of Sex & the City 2, it is abundantly clear that I am no Carrie.
Well let’s start with the basics:
- Carrie lives in the Big Apple, while I am stuck in traffic in the city of Angels (sorry baby, I still love you! LA IS my city and love! But traffic is also a painful bitch).
- Carrie lives solo in a rent controlled classic shabby chic apartment and keeps mags in her stove. I live in a shared but sparsely furnished condo near the Major Movie Studios of Burbank and cook sweet potatoes in my stove for my dog.
- Carrie bought $400 pairs of Jimmy Choos on her writers salary. I claimed about $400 in writing income on my ’09 tax return.
- Carrie didn’t have a ‘day job.’ I work fifty hours plus a week at my day job.
- Carrie wrote for Vogue. I do not write for Vogue; yet.
- Carrie had Big. I have an Aussie.
- Carrie had Aiden. I had an Englishman.
- Carrie was adorable and had great taste and fashion sense. Okay that one we do have in common (wink!).
- Carrie had great girlfriends. Okay check that as well for Ms. Brown.
- Carrie made a lot of dumb mistakes but loved full out and had a pretty damn nice life in the process. Ditto for the Duchess.
It turned out in the first movie that for Ms. Bradshaw, men and friends were her meal ticket. They were the fuel that transformed her column into a book, and parlayed that debut novel into many books. What lies ahead in this second movie remains to be seen for us as viewers. In that respect I suppose what lies next in my life remains to be seen as well.
Now that I think about it, I suppose Carrie and I do have more in common than I previously thought.
I guess there’s a little Carrie in all of us.
Jill Brown is a Los Angeles, California-based life coach and writer. She earned her Bachelors in Humanities and Sociology from USU and is a member of the National Association for Conflict Resolution and the Ladies Who Launch Network. She is the founder of “The Duchess Guide” a website dedicated to helping women become their most fabulous and unique selves. She is an avid outdoor enthusiast, traveler and health nut. When she isn’t writing or working on Duchess, Jill loves spending all her free time with her Labrador – Betty. For more on The Duchess Guide or Jill visit: http://theduchessguide.com/
SMW DUCHESS DIGEST INSPIRATION
Check out the trailer for SEX AND THE CITY 2 – THE MOVIE: