Duchess Digest: Making Mother’s Day Memorable!
By Jill Brown
Mother’s Day is just around the corner; how will you be celebrating your mom this year? May 12th is Mother’s Day this year – you have until then to find the perfect Mothers Day gift. You can always do the stand-by classics like brunch, flowers or chocolates – all of which are great ways to say “I love you” but there are other options too!
Here are a few more fun and creative ways to say thanks to your mom this year. Some may take a little more time, but I bet it’s nothing compared to the pain of labor she went through to bring you into this world (hint, hint, nudge, nudge).
- A day at the spa. Mom loves you, but there’s a good chance she’d like a little “me time” of her own without you. Book her a massage, facial or some other spa treatment and let her have a little pampering and R&R that’s just for her to enjoy.
- Mani/Pedi’s. If the spa is a little steep for your budget, how about booking a local mani/pedi for you and mom. You can talk, relax and reconnect – all while getting beautiful hands and feet. If this is even a little expensive for you, why not paint mom’s toes yourself? What a fun way to talk to her and show her you’re at her feet in thanks!
- Make her breakfast in bed. If you live close to your mom why not let her sleep in while you cook some breakfast? Cheaper then going out and she doesn’t have to get all dressed up or do the work. Make sure you clean up after too! Don’t saddle mommy dearest with the dishes!
- Go for a drive. I love Sunday drives on sunny days. If you live somewhere that the weather is permitting a nice Sunday drive, why not reconnect with mom by taking her for a spin, letting her be the passenger and even make a mom mix for the road with some of her favorite music. Better yet, drive to a park or beautiful overlook and pack some lunch. Then picnic and enjoy the view. Destination Unknown can mean a lot of fun!
- Operation Sanitation. Here’s a big one. Send mom out for something fun, like the mani/pedi or breakfast with one of the other siblings (so they get some one-on-one time) then clean the house for her. Nothing better then a spotless, beautiful surprise to come home to after breakfast on Sunday morning. Little gifts that don’t cost a lot but have a big impact may be the perfect fit for you mom this Mother’s Day.
If you live far away, flowers or a gift may be the best option for you due to travel limitations. If a well executed surprise visit isn’t in the cards for you, a thoughtful card is still meaningful if done right. No simple message of “thanks mom” share a favorite memory, attribute or character of her that you love and thank her for what she’s done to get you here. There’s no manual that comes with motherhood – so be sure to say thanks for the efforts your mom went through to get you here.
Above all, have fun, make it heartfelt and put some effort into it. More often then not it truly the thought that counts and the simplest genuine actions can mean more then anything to the special woman in your life. Happy Mother’s Day!
Jill Brown is an Anchorage, Alaska based writer and blogger. She earned her Bachelors in Humanities and Sociology from USU and is the founder of “The Duchess Guide” a website dedicated to sharing the ups and downs of life in Alaska. For more on The Duchess Guide or Jill visit: http://theduchessguide.com/
More SingleMindedWomen.com Inspiration