20 Fashion and Beauty Resolutions Every Woman Should Make
By Erin Donnelly
Bring on the New Year! This is the year – you’re certain of it – that you reach your personal best. For real this time. You’ll become more organized, you’ll finally shed those last 10 pounds, you’ll find Mr. Right in time for Valentine’s Day, and you’ll stop having evil thoughts about stapling your boss’s face. And while those resolutions are all well and good – great, even – let’s not let your style fall by the wayside. Thankfully, these fashion and beauty resolutions don’t require a major lifestyle overhaul – just a few simple changes to keep you looking and feeling your absolute best. It’s going to be one heck of a year, gals.
1. Clear out your closet. Before you start the New Year with a new wardrobe, unload your old one. Go through your closet and dressers and put aside anything that doesn’t fit, has stains or irreparable tears, or hasn’t been worn in the past year. Then bag it and haul it off to Goodwill (or a consignment shop if you think it will sell). You’ll clear out lots of space and feel instantly refreshed.
2. Bounce back from holiday binging. Are those holiday cookies and roast beef dinners still lingering on your waistline? Get back on track by eating sensibly – cutting back on fatty, fried foods and sodas – and trying out a new exercise class. Bikram yoga, anyone?
3. Sweeten your smile. The beginning of the year is a great time to take care of your annual doctor appointments, starting with your dentist. Freshen your smile with a cleaning and a whitening treatment. No money for a professional treatment? Treat your almost-pearly whites to an in-home whitening treatment.
4. Buy local. Are you a prisoner to the mall? Why not take this opportunity to support local designers and boutiques? You’ll be amazed at the fabulous one-of-a-kind wares you discover. The retail giants will understand.
5. Update your makeup bag. If your cosmetics case is jam-packed with expired beauty products and coated with icky grime and makeup residue, it’s definitely time for a change. Treat yourself to a new makeup bag, throw out your old lipsticks and dried-out mascaras, and wipe off the stuff you plan to keep with an antibacterial cloth. It’s almost as good as going on a beauty shopping spree.
6. Freshen your hairstyle. Book a style consultation to revamp your ‘do, or simply go in for a trim and fresh highlights to warm up your complexion.
7. Break your bad style habits. We all have those secret garments that we know look hideous and unflattering, but inexplicably wear anyway. If you love them, keep them. But if you’re sick of wandering around the house in baggy sweats or that fleece pullover that’s seen better millenniums, toss them out. You might feel a tiny twinge of regret, but you’ll feel better once you replace them with clothes that you know you look great in.
8. Get tailored. To maximize the value of the clothes you wear, embrace the art of tailoring. Take a pair of jeans, trousers, or blazer to be altered, and you’ll be amazed at how great the sharper, curve-accentuating fit makes you look.
9. Purse patrol. If you need GPS just to find your wallet or keys within the crammed mess that is your handbag, it’s time to clear the clutter. Dump everything out, file away any important receipts, throw out any trash, and stash duplicate mints, lip glosses, and such in another place – one is enough!
10. Check your color. You know how beige always washes you out but red makes you look like a knockout? The colors you wear can make a bag impact on your appearance, so why not investigate it a little further? Book a color consultation with an image expert, or go the cheap route by using paint swatches or different colored pieces of fabric. Hold each color up to your face and note how it affects your complexion – do you look more radiant, or sallow? Once you’ve determined your most flattering hues, go through your closet to make sure you’ve got the clothes to match.
Pages: 1 2