Job Interview Style on the Cheap
By Erin Donnelly
In today’s troubled economy, many single women are hunting for jobs, with little money to splurge on a designer suit from a department store. But how can you ace your interview and look professional and polished for pennies? Ryan Kohnen, author of The Young Professional’s Guide to Success, offers his budget style tips.
1. Go monochromatic. Dressing in one color is always polished and can make up for the fact that your suit isn’t Armani.
2. Develop a relationship with a tailor. Even a $20 pair of Gap dress pants are interview-worthy if they fit right.
3. Discount retailers and off-season sales are your friends. Last season’s perfectly fashionable castoffs can be yours for often one-quarter of the price.
4. Separates are an option, especially in neutral colors. A navy cardigan can replace a navy jacket, especially when paired with a navy pencil skirt.
5. Limit jewelry. It can tend towards expensive or showy, and neither will do you any favors while you’re looking for work.
More SMW Fashion & Beauty Advice:
Follow Sex & the Single Woman on Twitter! Click here to see our Twitter page and sign up to get updates.