Top 10 Bra Don’ts
By Beverly Russina
We see them day in day out: undergarment faux pas. Visible panty lines…exposed bra straps…peek-a-boo thongs. Recovering from a little fashion “oops” is one thing… committing an undergarment atrocity on the regular is quite another. After 20+ years in the business of fitting both women and men in their undergarments, we’ve seen people suffer through a variety of mishaps. But for women, most of the no-no’s come down to that twin-cupped revolution…the bra!
Here are the top ten bra faux pas:
1. Never wear a black bra under a white top…EVER. Well, maybe if you’re Madonna or Lady Gaga.
2. The right amount of cleavage is a very sexy thing. What’s not sexy is when too much breast tissue billows out of the top making it seem like you’re wearing a bra that’s three sizes too small.
3. Slippery straps are a fashion no-no. They make you look sloppy and unkempt and are a clear indication that you’re bra is not working out for you.
4. Don’t forget about gravity. Wearing a bra is not just a matter of appropriateness it’s a necessity. After babies, a little weight gain and general aging, your breasts are simply not what they used to be.
5. You’ve got some very special back bulge. We’re not talking about those few extra pounds gained over the dreary winter…if there is a build-up of tissue around the underarms or below your bra band, your body is screaming for a proper fitting. We’re also confident that you’re seriously uncomfortable.
6. If nude isn’t an option in your undergarment drawer, you’re committing fashion atrocities left and right. Nude is the color to wear under just about everything. You should not see the outline of your bra through your top – unless you’re wearing something sheer.
7. Your summer style means that just about everyone knows what color bra you’re wearing. It’s the age old dilemma when wearing low necklines or tank tops: how to hide the top of your bra? You can try layering or double-sided fashion tape, which is a woman’s style essential. Another option is to go for a bandeau, balconette or demi bra.
8. Matching the correct style of bra with your outfit. If you’re wearing a halter top or an evening dress with off the shoulder sleeves, you’ll need a corresponding bra so that the only focus is on that fabulous ensemble you’re wearing.
9. You only have two breasts. So if for some reason someone is seeing four, that’s a major concern. Generally it means that your bra is way tight and it’s pushing your breast tissue upwards creating the illusion that you’re rocking a side-show act.
10. Stay smooth by embracing the new lace. Let’s face it – while t-shirt and contouring bras have the smoothness we need, they may lack the sexiness we desire. Sometimes lace can be a bit bulky under clingy fabrics, but many of the new three-part cup and cut and sew bras provide optimal coverage with flirty appeal. A bonus: the extra seam on these bras helps with controlling and centering breast tissue.
Beverly Russina is the founder of 123underwear.com and Beverly’s Hill, intimates boutique in St. Louis, MO.
123underwear.com brings customers the best, most compelling underwear, loungewear, swimwear and athletic fashions available, providing thorough, responsive, personal customer service with a dedicated team to answer your questions. 123underwear.com prides itself on processing and shipping all orders within 24 hours without any additional shipping and handling fees.
More SMW Lingerie Advice